(This Realtor Guest Blog with tips to sell your home is brought to you by CENTURY 21 Northwest Realtor Katie Crow, one half of Realtor team Ken and Katie Crow. Together they serve the Northwest Valley, particularly Sun City and Sun City West with exceptional and award winning service.)
Once you have decided to sell your home there is much to be done. In order to help you avoid becoming overwhelmed, I will give you some important information that will make your path clear to you.
You don’t need to worry about the ins and outs of how to list your home, market it, and sell it for a fair price. That, after all, is what we (realtors) do. All you need to do is make sure your home is in the best shape it can be and is presentable to potential buyers.
How do you do that? Well, please read on!
What to Do Before Putting Your House on the Market
The first thing you need to do before you sell your home, is take a really critical look at your home and answer these questions:
Is the house a strong reflection of me and my taste?
If it is, here are a few suggestions you can use to remove yourself from the presentation in order to sell your home faster:
- Take all the stuff off of the refrigerator.
- Put away the pictures of your family.
- Paint the walls a neutral color.
- Pack up your collections, nick knacks and sports memorabilia.
- Remove your throws and afghans from your couches and chairs.
- Take down any strong culturally oriented or religious artifacts.
- Put your personal or family calendar out of sight.
Does my home present an image of spaciousness?
If it does not, clear out unnecessary furniture and personal items such as the following:
- Remove large foot stools, small tables and occasional chairs.
- Clean out closets.
- Clean out cupboards and linen closets.
- Remove small appliances and decorator items from kitchen and bathroom counters.
Is it clean and orderly?
If it doesn’t sparkle and shine, it is time for elbow grease or professional help. In order to sell your home, it has to look like a nice product. Here are some things to consider:
- Clean all windows and window treatments – including blinds.
- Clean all light fixtures and replace dim bulbs.
- Have carpets cleaned.
- Touch up any paint marks.
- Scrub all wood work around the doors – especially the front door.
- Clean and organize the garage.
- Clean or replace the mat at the front door.
- Address all pet odors.
How does the yard look?
If it is not tidy and trim, get to work on it or call a landscaper. Remember:
- A pot of brightly colored flowers on the front porch adds a great deal of curb appeal.
- Oil marks on the drive way can be scrubbed off with Tide laundry soap and a broom.
When you feel that you can accurately answer these questions, you are ready to get this house on the market and let the offers roll in.
If you have any questions about any of these items, we are very happy to come and walk through your house with you and get clarity on how these tasks or any others can be taken care of quickly and with minimum expense.
Katie and Ken Crow
Century 21 Northwest
16040 N 59th Ave
Glendale, AZ 85306